6/12/09

Significance of Today

"'On Friday, June 12, I woke up at six o'clock and no wonder; it was my birthday, But of course I was not allowed to get up at that hour, so I had to control my curiosity until a quarter to seven...soon after seven, I went to Mummy and Daddy and then to the sitting room to undo my presents. The first to greet me was you, possibly the nicest of all.' Anne Frank, June 12, 1942, The Diary of A Young Girl. Had she lived, today would be her 80th birthday.

And spare a good thought as well for Miep Gies, who helped hide the Franks, found and kept the diary safe until Anne's confirmed death, and then gave the world this treasure. She celebrated her 100th birthday this year. Not that Politicians, comedians and beauty queens aren't relevant, but if you have that tattered copy of Frank's diary tucked away on a shelf since high school, pull it out and give it another read."

(Hat Tip to maatkare for leaving this quote on Big Hollywood today.)

I think I will pull out my copy and give it another read. Also visit Anne Frank's tree here.

No comments: